Bacolod Masskara Festival
BACOLOD MASSKARA FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Official Masskara Festival Schedule
- October 1 & 2 | First Mayor Albee Benetiz Football Cup
- October 7 | BMX Contest for Ridersand Enthusiasts at the Bacolod Bay Center
- October 7 & 8 Bacolod Hip Hop Dance Challenge at the Bacolod Government Center
- October 7 to 9 | First Mayor Albee Benetiz Cup Drag Fest
- October 11 | Mr. Bacolod at the Central Halls 1 & 2 , Ayala Malls Capitol Central
- October 14 | Masskara Auto Convention at SMX Bacolod
- October 15 | Bacolod KPop Night
- October 15 & 16 | First Mayor Albee Benetiz Masskara Circuit Race and Motor Show at the Upper East Megaworld
- October 19, 9 PM | Miss Bacolod Masskara Coronation Night at University of St La Salle Colliseum
- October 20 | Masskara Music Festival at the New Government Center
- October 21, 7 PM | Masskarade Ball, Dinner with the Stars at SMX Bacolod
- October 21-22 | Tatak Bacolod Food Festival at the North Capitol Road
- October 21-23 | Masskara Street Parties at Lacson Tourism Strip
- October 22 , 6 PM | Electric Masskara ( Float and Dance Competition) at Rizal Street, Araneta Street to Paglaum Sports Complex
- October 22, 1 pm | Street Dance and Arena Dance Competition at Rizal Street to Araneta to Paglaum Sports Complex
Note: More activities will be added soon, so please bookmark this page for more updates.
ABOUT BACOLOD MASSKARA FESTIVAL
The Bacolod Masskara Festival is celebrated every fourth Sunday of October. The word Masskara means a multitude of smiling faces which is the highlight of the festival, specifically featuring smiling faces of masks for the city is well-known as the city of smiles.
This was originally started in the year 1980 and is still being celebrated up to this present time. It emerged during a time of crisis. The locals rely on sugar cane as their primary source of living in the aspect of agriculture. Because of the trend of newly released high fructose corn syrup from the USA, the local business of the people became difficult so much so that they do not anymore earn their basic earnings just like before. Aside from that, it is also a tragic beginning since on the 22nd of April that same year, the inter-island vessel MV Don Juan with a lot of Negrenses passengers and the well-known families of Bacolod City collided with the tanker of the Tacloban City. Due to this, the MV Don Juan sank in Mindoro on its way to Bacolod coming from Manila. This tragic and unfortunate event took 750 lives in total. To uplift the spirit of the citizens and to once again create a lively spirit in town after the tragic events, City Mayor Jose Montalvo proposed the beginning of the “Festival of Smiles” commonly known nowadays as the Masskara festival.
The highlight of the Bacolod Masskara Festival is the street dance competitions. Locals per Barangay are free to form their respective groups and participate in the said competition. They will have to, of course, prepare for the majestic costumes and props, practice stunning choreography, and do all other effects to make their presentation exceptional.
Other activities also include the Masskara Queen, where locals will open a pageant competition. Women will vie for the crown, and the one who exhibits true Bacolodnon beauty and she will be hailed as the queen of the festival. Similarly, other small competitions are also simultaneously happening in all parts of the city. These are the agriculture-trade fairs, bugle corps tournaments, carnivals, drums, food festivals, garden shows, musical concerts, and sports events.
Throughout the week of the celebration, people gather in the place to enjoy the non-stop activities which will surely make anyone dance and sing with joy! But if you are more of an observer than a participant, you may opt to watch the other simple yet really enjoyable games prepared by the locals. Indeed, the Bacolod Masskara Festival is filled with a lot of enjoyable and entertaining activities which may be enjoyed by the visitors, both locals, and foreigners. This is a world-class celebration prepared by the people of Bacolod City. Make sure that as you go here, do not forget to bring your camera with you and be ready to capture the one-of-a-kind smiles of the locals, living to its legacy as the City of Smiles!
HOW TO GET TO BACOLOD MASSKARA FESTIVAL
Please visit this page to know the various ways to get to Bacolod City. This link has detailed schedules of fast crafts and detailed bus schedules. Transportation Guide to Bacolod City
WHERE TO STAY DURING THE BACOLOD MASSKARA FESTIVAL
if you are planning to witness the Bacolod Masskara Festival, it would be best to book your hotel as early as you can. Hotels rooms may not be available anymore during the highlight week.
Click here for the detailed list of Bacolod Hotels
WHERE TO EAT IN BACOLOD CITY
Food is one thing which the city is proud of. Numerous restaurants offer various cuisines are found all over the place.
Click here for the list of Bacolod City Restaurants
OTHER THINGS THAT WILL HELP YOU MAKE YOUR BACOLOD MASSKARA FESTIVAL VISIT ENJOYABLE, CLICK THE LINKS BELOW
- FESTIVALS IN THE PHILIPPINES
- MASSKARA FESTIVAL | SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES )
- NEGROS OCCIDENTAL TRAVEL GUIDE + ATTRACTIONS
Bacolod Masskara Festival
- Siquijor Island Travel Guide
- Dumaguete Travel Guide
- Samal Island Travel Guide
- Bantayan Island Travel Guide
- Camotes Island Travel Guide
- Islas de Gigantes Travel Guide
- Malalison Island Travel Guide
- Bacolod City Travel Guide
- Sagada Travel Guide
- Batanes Travel Guide
- Vigan Travel Guide
- Ilocos Norte Travel Guide
- Pagudpud Travel Guide
- Davao Travel Guide
- El Nido Travel Guide
- 4-Day El Nido Travel Guide
- Lake Sebu Travel Guide
- Malapascua Travel Guide
- Camiguin Island Travel Guide
- Sipalay Travel Guide