Ati-atihan Festival , Kalibo
KALIBO ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
About Kalibo Ati-atihan Festival
Filipinos are renowned for their love of celebrations, turning even the smallest occasions into grand festivities marked by joy and enthusiasm. The unique Filipino way of celebrating, often grounded in family values or religious significance, has earned global recognition. Music, dance, vibrant costumes, and delectable Filipino dishes are essential components of these joyous occasions.
Kalibo, Aklan, claims the spotlight on the Filipino celebration calendar every third week of January with the spectacular Ati-atihan Festival. This religiously-centered event honors the infant Jesus (Sto. Nino) and commemorates the historical acceptance of Malays by the Aetas (or Atis) during their arrival in the province. In times of famine, the Malays provided refuge to the Aetas, creating a bond commemorated through this vibrant festival.
Known as “The Mother of All Philippine Festivals,” Ati-atihan embraces the key elements of a colorful celebration. The street dancing segment takes center stage, featuring participants with soot-blackened skin, adorned in colorful costumes and headdresses identifying their tribes. Dancing to enchanting rhythms, they traverse Kalibo’s streets, captivating onlookers with their unique brand of merriment.
The air is filled with chants of “Hala Bira, Pwera Pasma!” as merrymakers invite onlookers to join the festivities, believing that the Infant Jesus will shield them from harm during the parade. As the parade unfolds, time seems to lose significance, and fatigue dissipates amid the infectious energy of the crowd.
The festivities climax with a procession of thousands carrying various images and statues of the Infant Jesus. Each step is a promise, a fervent wish for personal aspirations granted through divine intervention. The festival concludes with a grand masquerade party, announcing winners in a spectacle that rivals the street dancing in pomp and pageantry.
No festival is complete without savoring local delights. In the breaks between Ati-atihan waves, indulge in mouthwatering delicacies offered by local dive spots and hole-in-the-wall eateries, each presenting unique Aklanon dishes to replenish your energy.
Living up to its title as the Mother of All Philippine Festivals is undoubtedly a monumental task, but Kalibo succeeds year after year. Despite the challenges, participants consistently outshine previous iterations, adding more flair and grandeur to this annual celebration—an achievement in itself.
LIST OF BUDGET HOTELS IN KALIBO, AKLAN
Attending the Ati-atihan festival requires you to book your hotel room in advance. Book and confirm your reservation below by clicking the links provided. Almost all of these places offer some discounts for you to grab.
Ati-Atihan Festival Hotel
19 Martyrs Street, City Proper
DISCOUNTED RATE, BOOK FOR ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL HERE
Aranas-Carillo Travellers Inn
Regino, Roldan Street, City Proper, Kalibo, Philippines, 560
JNC Martelino Street, Andagao, Aklan, City Prope
Bee Bee Lodge
Barangay Old Buswang, City Proper
Discover Boracay Hotel
Kalibo International Airport Complex, Kalibo International Airport
BOOK FOR ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL HERE
DREAMLAND RESIDENCES HOTEL
New Buswang Kalibo, Aklan
Toting Reyes Street, City Prope
Inn and Suites at Roz and Angeliques
Jaime Cardinal Sin Avenue, Kalibo, Philippines, 560
La Esperanza Hotel
Osmeña Avenue, City Prope
LM Bldg., F. Quimpo St., City Proper, Kalibo, Philippines, 5600
BOOK FOR ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL HERE
Roxas Avenue Extension, Andagao
647 Osmena Avenue, Capitol Site, Estancia, City Prope
Royal Suites Condotel
Rizal St. Poblacion
Suburbia Garden Hotel
Osmena Avenue Tigayon
Kalibo Ati-atihan Festival [Schedule of Activities]
HOW TO REACH KALIBO, AKLAN: YOUR GATEWAY TO BORACAY BEACH
Kalibo, Aklan, serves as the primary gateway to the renowned Boracay Beach, boasting an International Airport that ranks among the busiest in the country.
GETTING AROUND KALIBO DURING THE ATI-ATIHAN FESTIVAL
From Kalibo to Caticlan (Boracay Port):
Upon arrival at Kalibo airport, convenient transportation options are available for your journey to Caticlan, the gateway to Boracay Island.
- Tour Buses: These buses, easily accessible upon arrival, travel directly to Caticlan. The fare from Kalibo to Caticlan is approximately PhP 200 per person. These buses often synchronize with flight schedules to accommodate arriving guests.
- Vans: Another efficient mode of transportation to Caticlan is through vans, with a similar fare of around PhP 200 per person.
From Caticlan to Boracay:
Boracay Island is a mere 1 km away from Caticlan. Once at Caticlan, proceed to the Caticlan Jetty port building to secure your boat ticket. Guests are required to pay for the boat ticket (25 pesos), Environmental Fee ticket (75 pesos), and terminal fee ticket (100 pesos).
Numerous boats operate between Caticlan and Boracay at short intervals, starting as early as 4:00 am and continuing until 10:00 pm.
- For the convenience of travelers, ATMs are available at the Jetty port building, ensuring accessibility to financial services during your journey.
Embark on a seamless travel experience from Kalibo to Boracay, allowing you to revel in the beauty of Boracay Beach with ease.
- Boracay Travel Guide
- List of Resorts in Boracay
- ILOILO CITY, PHILIPPINES | TRAVEL GUIDE + ITINERARY
- ILOCOS NORTE TRAVEL PHILIPPINES GUIDE(Opens in a new browser tab)
- DINAGYANG FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES | TRAVEL GUIDE
- KABIGAN FALLS, PAGUDPUD | ILOCOS NORTE TOURIST SPOT
- PATAPAT VIADUCT| ILOCOS NORTE TOURIST SPOT(Opens in a new browser tab)
- CEBU CITY TRAVEL GUIDE | BUDGET HOTELS, TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
- ACCOMMODATION GUIDE | BUDGET HOTELS AND RESORTS IN LAGUNA
- BABAYLAN FESTIVAL History + Schedule Of Activities | Bago City
- SANDUROT FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS | DUMAGUETE CITY
- BUGLASAN FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
- MALALISON ISLAND [ MARARISON ] Travel Guide + Homestays
- SETTING YOUR DESTINATION WEDDING IN TROPICAL THAILAND
- PAHIYAS FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
- KALIBO, AKLAN TRAVEL GUIDE