2023 PAHIYAS FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
THE PAHIYAS FESTIVAL
Pahiyas Festival is being celebrated annually in the Municipality of Lucban or Lukban in Quezon Province, Philippines. The Pahiyas Festival is held in honor of San Isidro Labrador the Farmer every 15 of May.
The Festival got its name from the Filipino Term “Hiyas” which means “jewel”. Pahiyas then connotes a precious offering.
The main attraction of the festival are houses lining the street of Lucban that are fully decorated. Various kinds of fruits, vegetables, rice grains, and other agricultural products and their famous colorful “kiping” adorned the houses which invite many tourists to visit the place every year.
Lucban’s Kiping leaf shape are thin wafers made from rice dough. These wafers are made into flowers like decors or mobile decor which is called “aranya”. People of Lucban use different kinds of leaves to be used as a pattern and apply various vibrant colors to the kiping. Various shapes and textures are being produced by using different leaves such as banaba leaves, kabal, cocoa, coffee, and cocoa to name a few.
Each household in Lucban Laguna competes with each other in term of their decorations.
Prior to the main event, people in Lucban are busy preparing for the Kiping. In producing the Kiping, the locals started to pick fresh leaves to serve as a mold for the wafer. Common leaves used are those of Talisay, Kabal, Cocoa, Coffee and Talisay tree.
After the leaves are readied, rice paste is prepared by soaking the rice for two hours. After which the soaked rice is grounded and food color is added to the mixture. The grounded mixture is then brushed on the leaves.
The leaves pasted with rice mixture are steamed for around 30 minutes. The steamed leaves are then dried until the rice paste can be peeled off.
After which the colorful Kipping is fashioned into several shapes and designed like the usual mobile or chandeliers seen in most houses during the festival.
The colorful Kiping can actually be eaten grilled or fried.
WHAT TO EXPECT AND HOW TO PREPARE WHEN VISITING THE FESTIVAL
If you’re planning to visit the Pahiyas Festival in Lucban, Quezon, here are some things you can expect and tips on how to prepare as a tourist:
1. Vibrant decorations: The town is decorated with colorful and creative decorations made of fruits, vegetables, and kiping (rice wafers). Expect to see an explosion of colors and intricate designs throughout the town.
2. Crowds: The festival attracts a lot of people, so be prepared for large crowds. Make sure to plan your visit accordingly and consider arriving early to avoid the biggest crowds.
3. Street food: There are plenty of street food vendors selling local delicacies such as pancit habhab, longganisa, and bibingka. Be sure to try some of the local food while you’re there.
4. Heat and humidity: May is a hot and humid month in the Philippines, so be prepared for the heat. Wear light and comfortable clothing and bring sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water to stay hydrated.
5. Respectful behavior: Remember that the Pahiyas Festival is a religious and cultural celebration. Be respectful of the locals and their traditions and be mindful of your behavior and attire.
6. Accommodations: If you’re planning to stay overnight, make sure to book your accommodations in advance. Lucban has limited accommodations and they tend to fill up quickly during the festival.
7. Transportation: Consider hiring a local guide or driver to help you navigate the festival and the town. Traffic can be heavy during the festival, so it’s best to leave your car behind and explore on foot. Taxis and tricycles are also available for hire.
HOW TO GET TO LUCBAN, QUEZON
From Metro Manila, one can reach Lucban, Quezon by private vehicle or by bus. The bus going to Lucban can be found in the following terminals:
Cubao, Quezon City
EDSA-Kamuning/Kamias, Quezon City
Buendia and Taft Avenue, Makati City
From the terminal, take any bus going to Lucena, Quezon for P140. Travel time is between 2-3 hours. Upon arrival, get down at Lucena Bus Terminal and take a jeepney to Lucban for P25 at an approximately 30-45 minutes
More Travel Guides
- LEGAZPI CITY, ALBAY | TRAVEL GUIDE
- KAWASAN FALLS | CEBU TOURIST SPOT 2019
- ZAMBALES TOURIST SPOTS | TRAVEL GUIDE
- SUBIC ZAMBALES TRAVEL GUIDE + TOURIST SPOTS
- HAVING SKECHERS GOwalk SHOES FOR MASSKARA FESTIVAL
- T’NALAK FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES [SOUTH COTABATO]
- KADAYAWAN FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
- BACOLOD MASSKARA FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- SANDUROT FESTIVAL SCHEDULE OF EVENTS | DUMAGUETE CITY